1. We negotiate constantly…but not constructively.
2. Competitive negotiation is natural, but costly (Phil 2:21).
4. When you need to negotiate, P-A-U-S-E.
- Prepare (Prov 14:22).
- Affirm Relationship (Esther 5:1-4).
- Understand Interests (Phil 2:1-4; 1 Sam 2:5). Interests are what really motivate people and give rise to positions. An interest may be a concern, desire, need, limitation, or something a person values or fears.
- Search for creative solutions (Prov 25:2).
- Evaluate options objectively and reasonably (Dan 1:11-16).